Five years ago when I decided to move to Korea I knew I would need to pack certain things. I poured over blogs, read all the books, asked friends for advice. What should I bring with me? Do I need to bring anything special? I was confused and lost. Never having stepped foot outside the United States, I didn’t have a clue as to what to bring or what to do, where to look when I got to Korea. After a collective 5 and a half years living in Korea, I’ve narrowed down my top 6 must bring items for Korea.
- Deodorant It’s a pain in the ass to find, and it is NEVER what you want. Roll on BS! It’s gross, and sticky, and just wrong. No! Bring your favorite brand and bring at least 3-4 sticks
- Toothpaste It’s everywhere here. Koreans love to brush their teeth. Love brushing with sugar, honey paste. It’s not minty, and the sugar content is off putting. You will be able to find Arm & Hammer, and recently I’ve noticed Aquafresh. Other than that, bring your own.
- Shoes. Ladies, if you wear larger than a size 8 ½ (US), and dudes wearing a size larger than a 9 (US) bring enough shoes to last you a while. Occasionally, you’ll find a store that carries your size just don’t bank on it. Some E-Mart’s have Payless kiosks now.
- Clothes. Same as with shoes. If you are a larger human being, bring enough clothes, tights, underwear, bras, and JEANS with you. Throw in some warm, wool socks, too.
- Spices Most are abundantly available here. Cajun seasoning is not at all.
- An open mind. The most important thing you can bring with you. When you get here and you spill your favorite perfume all over your bed, or rip your best jeans. Calm down. There’s probably a tailor in the building you work in that can fix those jeans for you that day. Olive Young sells most perfumes and every other cosmetic on the planet. Flushed your contact down the toilet? Cool. Take your blind self to the eyeglass place across the street and get new contacts in 3 days. If all else fails, Amazon delivers to Korea.
This list is in no way one size fits all. Decide what is important to you and by all means bring it. Just remember that Korea will more than likely have what you are looking for. It might not be the exact thing, but then remember #6.